Friday, May 13, 2011

Not a Wink Quilt for Bloggers Quilt Festival

Hi, welcome! I finished the binding on this quilt just in time for it to be my virtual exhibit in the Bloggers Quilt Festival. I've named it the Not a Wink Quilt because it is so wild, bright and crazy it just might keep you up all night -- hence Not a Wink of sleep.
It is an all-scrap quilt except for the sashing. It is almost 100 inches square, for our queen-sized bed, so it was a great scrapbuster.

When I first decided to make a scrap quilt, I thought a lot about what type of square I would like to make. I finally came up with my own design for a block which is a variation of a traditional railfence. I call it the Scrapbuster Random Railfence Block and a full tutorial to make it is here. It uses 2.5 inch strips of any length and makes 12 inch squares. I think what made me the happiest about it is that although the method is very straightforward, no two blocks turn out the same.

So after I had my block design decided, I made 36 squares and watched my scrap pile shrink, shrink, shrink.

I decided to use sashing to set the squares apart. As you can see I went with a nice subtle sashing, hee, hee. If you've been by the blog before, you know I love bright colours, but this hot pink polka dot sashing was even a little out there for me. I almost changed my mind about it, but I'm glad I didn't.

I really like the cat in this square. Because I had lots of novelty fabric scraps, the quilt has a bit on an I-Spy feature which my kids like.

The backing is a print called Heart Throb by Free Spirit. It is bound in a hot pink which matched the sashing.

Because of the massive size, I sent it out to be quilted. I tried a new long-arm quilter this time, Gilbert Crevier of 3A Quilting, and he did a great job. I chose a pantograph that says "Love" which I think was an unexpected choice, and I realised after it may have been intended more for borders than an overall pattern, but I am so happy with how it looks.


Thanks so much for stopping by. If it's your first time here, please feel free to stay a while and browse. Then when you're ready if you click here you can head over to the list of all the participants in the Bloggers Quilt Festival. There are lots and lots of fabulous quilts to see. Happy Quilting!