Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Comfort Pillows for Hospice and May for Me Prize!

Yes, May is for me or for you and we are suppose to be sewing and doing stuff we want to do.  Like projects we have put aside and now is the time to do those.  But I have decided I am going to change my list whenever I want to and do whatever I want to do, on a whim!

What kind of plan is that?  If you have been following me and reading my posts, I think it is pretty obvious that I love to sew and quilt.  So no matter what I am sewing or constructing, I am happy.

My mom came to visit for an early Mother's Day, this past weekend.  We decided to sew together again.  We made more comfort pillows for Rainbow Hospice.  I sew and my Mom stuffs!  On March 19th, National Quilting Day my Mom and I made a Passage Quilt for Rainbow Hospice and comfort pillows.  Here is a link to that post:  Sewing with Mom!   Tomorrow for Wordless Wednesday I will post photos of the completed Passage Quilt.  Two weeks ago I mailed it to my Mom and she gave it to Rainbow Hospice of Jefferson County, (Wisconsin).

Here's how we make the comfort pillows. 
We make 2 sizes:  Approximately 5 1/2  inches by 12 1/2 inches and 5 1/2 inches by 10 1/2 inches.



Cut 2 pieces of 100% cotton fabric  - 6" X 13" or 6" X 11".



Place pretty sides together as shown  and pin.

Stitch a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around the rectangle leaving an opening of about 3 inches at one end.  See the double pins to remind you not to sew there.  Use a tight or small stitch to sew.  Or stitch it a second time.
Clip off the corners close to the stitching, being careful not to cut the stitches.
Turn right side out.  Poke corners out.

Press/Iron to get the wrinkles out and make sure you have the open ends folded  to the inside.

I stuff with a poly stuffing.
Stitch the opening closed with a tiny zigzag stitch.

The comfort pillows are machine washable.

We have been making the comfort pillows since 1996.  More information about the comfort pillows in the Sewing with Mom post.
Time for another "May for Me" Prize Giveaway!

Orange Flowers Note Cards  Set of 3 - Value $6.00
These cards were made from a photo of thread painting on orange batik printed fabric. I stitched for hours and hours with many different colors of threads including some variegated threads. I named the quilt "Fun at the End of the Day" !  It brought back memories of coloring -- but not staying inside the lines....  I use this quilt photo as the logo for my quilting business.

Sorry - Only US and Canada Free shipping. 
International winners shipping charges apply.
 
Drawing May 8, 2011 6pm CST 
 
It's simple to enter the drawing - Please leave a comment - Tell me what you like to sew, make, quilt, or craft!
 
Feel free to share on Facebook and post it on your blog and tweet it !

Enjoy May!  One day at a time!
 
Marcia