Saturday, January 31, 2009

My New Attitude


Many years of my life I have fought with myself to be thin.  I am not a thin person by nature.  Every New Year I vow to lose weight and diet until I could be happy with the way I look.  A few years ago I even decided to reward myself for a large weight loss with a trip to a place I have always wanted to visit.  It didn't happen.  Disappointment, Diet, Despair.  No more "D's"....Time to rethink.

I studied nutrition in college.  I know what to eat and what it takes to lose the weight.  As a side note all my nutrition teachers were morbidly obese save one.  We all know what to eat.  I do eat well most of the time.  I am addicted to sugar and chocolate and do not keep those items in the house.  I have maintained the same weight with in 5 pounds for the last 5 years.  So what do I need to do to change? 

I have been having trouble remembering things and have little or no energy for a while now.  Don't get me wrong, I am busy all the time, but I am just not myself.  This needs to change.

This New Year I decided not to diet.  I will eat sensibly when ever possible.  I did not set an unrealistic weight loss goal.  

This is my new attitude...  I now exercise 20 minutes in the morning on a stationary bike.  I started with 3 times a week and have worked up to 5 times per week, first thing in the morning, no excuses.  I have decided to look at my weight loss one pound at a time.  My goal is to lose one pound per week.   If I didn't make it, I add an extra workout in the evening until I make my goal. I also plan to add yoga when my weight loss stagnates. No huge life change, just a little something to make me a healthier person.

The results so far...  I have lost a pound each week.  My muscles are stronger and my waist is just a bit more shapely from the bike riding.  I have more energy during the day.  My memory and my concentration are improving and I sleep well at night for the first time in a very long while.  

This year I am rewarding myself with that trip as a birthday gift to myself.  I will join some of my girlfriends on their annual trek to the AQS Quilt show in Paducah, KY. Maybe I will see you there!