Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Uncle Jim

My very sweet and dear Uncle Jim died this week after a short but hard fought battle with cancer. Uncle Jim was my late father's youngest brother. A tall, handsome man with twinkling blue eyes and a beautiful smile, he could take anything apart and put it right back together again. His passion was vintage automobiles, which he collected and restored to perfection.

Last year Uncle Jim, his dear and devoted wife Ruth and my mother all went to Europe with a bunch of other antique car enthusiasts. He had one of his favorite automobiles shipped over by boat, where it was waiting for the three of them upon arrival, and off they went with their other car buddies, all driving in old fashioned high style throughout Europe.

I am so happy that they were able to take that final trip. My heart goes out to my Aunt Ruth who loved him so deeply. And I take comfort in imagining my Uncle Jim and my Father together again, for they were so close, and Uncle Jim had a very hard time with my Father's passing 6 years ago. Cancer took these brothers from us way too soon, each only in their late 60's, and both with much more living left to do.

And on that sad note, I ask you in honor of my Uncle Jim and in honor of all the ones that you each have loved and lost, let's each be sure to hug a family member or friend today, and to tell them how much they mean to us.

Also, please except my apologies for not keeping up with everyones blogs lately... please know that you all are important to me. I value the friendship, loving support, encouragement and creativity that we all share and I promise to visit soon. xo Victoria