Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fun with Color!

Below are two very fun devices I came across on the web. Each one interactively illustrates the effects of color and simultaneous contrast. Click on the links and give it a try!

Simultaneous Contrast: How two colors, side by side, effect how they are visually perceived.


Click here to enlarge and move the control. Explore how your color perception of each circle is altered by increasing and decreasing the outer color "aura" around the circle.


I love this one! Click here to enlarge and move the cursor all around to change the background color. Watch instantly how it effects your visual perception of each of the colored circles! Cool!!! Call the kiddies to the screen and let them play, too!

To learn more check out this : link.

And while we are on the subject of color, I just loved reading the comments triggered by the Avocado Green/Harvest Gold post. Hearing about everyone's 1970's color scheme decorating memories while growing up, what a hoot! Here is a sample...

'Avocado green and gold wallpaper; crushed velvet gold couch and avocado green shag carpet; harvest gold wallpaper with lines of glittery gold all mingled in; orange and gold shag carpet, (which came with a rake!); green shag carpet, (which was like living with a golf course); yellow and avocado green walls; multi-orange-to-rust shag carpet; and last but not least... peach walls with bright yellow, green, & orange print fabrics!

Goodness, it's a miracle we weren't all driven to madness! Thanks so much everyone for sharing!

And here is one more funny personal '70's color combo from me... In 1972 I was 9 years old and my parents took me to see my very first concert, (Arlo Guthrie playing at the local college campus where my dad worked... how cool was that?! I still love Arlo!) Anyway, I remember what I wore that night... a bright yellow ribbed turtle neck sweater, with lavandar/purple crushed velvet pants. Talk about a color statement... I was one hip 9 year old!