Saturday, March 7, 2009

Signs of Spring















Sand Hill Crane Photos Courtesy of Nikki


This week and the next is when so many of the migratory birds return to the area. Yesterday we were outside and only heard winter birdsong. This morning there were two to three dozen robins in our yard. Robins are considered the first sign of spring if you live in the upper Midwest in the United States. The sand hill cranes are back too. I saw a pair in the wetlands when I traveled to town this morning for my shift at the art gallery.





I was able to capture a few pictures of the pileated woodpecker living in our woods. Sorry they are a bit out of focus. My zoom lens was fully extended to catch these shots. This is only the third time I have seen one close to the house. I often hear and see them near the woodlands. They have a very distinct awkward and flight pattern which makes them easy to spot once you know what to look for. This species of bird lives in nests made in hollowed out trees. Their habitat is shrinking in many places due to man's encroachment.


We have had a warm week and the snow has almost melted. Mud season has started (or early spring for those of you that live in areas full of pavement). The dog has had his first bath of the season.


Wishing you many warm days ahead.