Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vintage Sheets and Fabric Finds

 I've added a few more vintage sheets to my small but growing collection.  I'm really happy with how these sheets work as fabric in a quilt.  My test quilt is all done except for the binding so I'll have it to show on Monday.
 I bought a few blue sheets yesterday.  For anyone wondering, I buy these at either The Salvation Army or Value Village, which are the only places I seem to have good luck here.  Most times they cost between $1.99 and $3.99 although I did play $4.99 for a king size sheet (the blue daisies on the left above.)   At Value Village I have seen sheets priced at high as $9.99, but it would have to be something super-awesome-fabulous for me to pay that simply because there is usually a good selection priced for less.
-
When I get the sheets home I machine launder them on hot with a good dose of detergent.  I run the machine on the longest cycle then put them outside to dry.
 This sheet made me laugh.  It isn't even close to colours I like, but I couldn't leave it behind.  It was $1.99 for a twin size at The Salvation Army.  I'm sure I'll think of something to do with it, or else pass it along to someone who loves it. 
 I found some fabric as well on my second-hand treasure hunt.  The piece on the top I thought would work as an I-Spy fabric.  The piece is huge, maybe 5 metres.  The bottom piece is just small, but interesting.  The lime colour in it is cool.
And again, this fabric isn't my colour either.  But I could tell it is really good quality from the feel of it.  The selvage says "An Antilles Design on West Indian Sea Island Cotton."  After a quick Google search I discovered it is indeed high quality cotton.  I would say the piece is 3.5 metres -- certainly worth $3.99.
-
See you Monday!  Thanks for stopping by!
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U