Friday, May 6, 2011

Marco Polo Quilt Guild Show Virtual Tour Part 1 of 3

Hi, and welcome! I'm glad you're here for the quilt show. First, to help us all get oriented, I thought I'd show the outside of the museum. The Marco Polo Quilt Guild show is being held until Sunday at the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square, Saint John, NB.

The one quilt outside is the raffle quilt. All the show quilts are inside.
But before we go in, let's first turn around and check out the fountain. There's also a library book sale taking place. (I bought some fabulous books for my kids.) As you can see the whole building is great.
See what I mean? This cool art is just down a corridor. My son is saying Hi to the statue.
And since it's the Marco Polo Quilt Guild, here's a huge model of the Marco Polo also just down the corridor.

But now, on with the quilts!

This bright lovely is Thick and Thin Log Cabin by Jane Palmer. It had such fabulous energy with the colours against the black. I spoke to Jane at the show and she said she had trouble getting enough bright fabric scraps to use, that no one in her guild seemed to have any brights. Well, let me say here that my whole stash is brights and if anyone in the area is looking for colourful scraps in the future, call me, I'm in the book. I'm not kidding, I'll totally set you up with some wild and crazy stuff.
This quilt won a Judges Choice Award.


I was intriqued by this quilt because it is 100% flannel. Turquoise is also my favourite colour so I was predisposed to like it! It is Swirling Bright by Carol Ann Barton.

Pretty cool, right?! You should see it up close. The lines are sooo well done. This is Frank Lloyd Wright Tree of Life by Sandra Reeves. This quilt won 2nd place in the Large Contemporary category.

A cat! Of course my kids loved it. This is 2009 Christmas Tree Ornament by Sandra Betts. The detail was awesome. Sandra Betts had some incredible things at the show. I have more pics of her work to post next time too.

And I can't resist a good lighthouse. This is Swallowtail Imagined by Nancy Estle. I have visited this lighthouse on Grand Manan and it is in a painting I did for my son in his room. This wallhanging was lovely.


Here is Celtic by Mary Craft. Simply put, it was huge and beautiful!

And as the last quilt for today, here is Heart of my Heart by Jean Foglein. It is to be a future wedding gift for a grandchild. It is just the perfect design for a wedding quilt and so well done!

Until next time, Happy Quilting!