Thursday, May 28, 2009

Paypal Spoof E-mail

Today I received and e-mail supposedly from Paypal stating that my Paypal account had limited access because someone had tried to break in to my account.  Would I please click on the e-mail link to take care of the problem.  Being the suspicious person I am, I instead contacted Paypal and found out it was a fake e-mail.   Paypal does not send e-mails to you with links requesting more information.  I also noticed the e-mail did not reference any of my e-mail addresses. 

I'm sure all of you have received the e-mail  someone in Nigeria has a bunch of money they would like to send you.  Maybe not such a clever scam, but thieves sure are thinking up new ways to trick people out of personal information.   There is a website called Snopes.com that debunks rumors and urban legends.  The first time I used it was to check on this e-mail  about the missing Ashley Flores.  I have since received this e-mail 3 more times over the years and fortunately Ashley is still not missing.  Be careful.  If you think it is a scam it is likely a scam.