Thursday, August 28, 2008

Katrina


This is the quilt that I made a couple of days after Hurricane Katrina first slammed into New Orleans. I had so much confusion and emotion going through me as I helplessly watched the horrific images on the television. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and how our government wasn't responding.


The emotions swirled inside of me so strongly that I needed a safe way to express them. I created this quilt out of various fabrics and cut up feedsacks to reflect the chaos that I was seeing and feeling.


Emotion still raged through me once I was finished and so on the back of the quilt I took a pen to fabric and furiously wrote all of my thoughts, feelings, despair and prayers.


And now it is the 3rd year anniversary, and our government still has not adequately responded. I try very hard not to get political on this blog, but please, let us elect a new administration that will actually work for the people, not against them. This madness has got to end.

My heart goes out to the residents of New Orleans, I pray that Hurricane Gustav spares them, and I give heartfelt thanks to every private citizen who has gone and visited New Orleans to help try and rebuild it, (such as my friend Ann and her husband, who went this past May for their 2nd time with Habitat for Humanity to help build. You can read a bit about their experience here.) To those of you who have volunteered, donated money, said a prayer or lent a helping hand in any other way, thank you for keeping the faith alive, as you all represent the true spirit of America.