Monday, August 11, 2008

Design Inspiration


The sun came out today for a bit and I was able to get some slightly better photos of my new work, (thanks everyone for the very kind responses in the previous post!)

Also thought I would share what I wrote about the thinking and inspiration behind the work:

"Form and function are one"
- Frank Lloyd Wright


Lately, I have been increasingly drawn to and attracted to, mid century design. Especially architecture. I decided that I wanted to start a new series of art quilts that were both beautiful and functional. Objects, that if placed in a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, would look like they belonged.


When I was a kid, my parents took my sister and me to see Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater", (picture above). I was so enthralled by what I was seeing, both on the exterior and the interior. All the rules were broken, and everything made perfect sense. One thing that's been on my "bucket list" for a long time is to take a trip from coast to coast, stopping along the way to visit as many of Frank's structures as I can! Wouldn't that be wonderful!?!