Sunday, June 15, 2008

Crop Circles

Finally, some new work! Yay!


"Crop Circles" features machine appliqued circles on a machine quilted background. Each circle hosts a vintage button, and is surrounded by rows or hand embroidery.


"Crop Circles" measures 12 1/2" x 10" and like most of my other small embroidered mini art quilts, it is backed with a piece of fabric covered, heavy weight interfacing. Why do I do this? Well, there are several reasons... because mini art quilts are so small, they don't have the weight of larger art quilts, and often don't hang flat. Visually, this bothers me. Backing the quilt as I do fixes this problem. It gives the quilt stability, as a frame would, but also enables the quilt to retain it's soft quilt and tactile qualities. Backing the quilt also hides all of my embroidery stitching and allows me to attach a secure cord hanger to the back for easy hanging.


"Crop Circles" is currently available here in my Etsy shop!