Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Invasion Continues


This is another free-motion embroidered, red-work piece from the "Invasion" series I am working on, (in-between working on other things). I have to admit the ball at the woman's feet bothers me. The shape is off and I am not thrilled with the shading. Actually this was the 2nd one that I attempted. On the first one my shading got way to heavy on the woman, making everything else look off. To balance it out I would have had to show all the shadows being cast from the objects, and the whole piece would have been over-worked. So I tried again. Because I am drawing with my sewing machine, erasing or painting over the parts I am not happy with just isn't an option. And since the stitches are rather tight and often clustered, ripping them out isn't a great option, either. So I have learn to live with the things that bug me, which becomes good practice for me in letting go.
(One of my extended life lessons, and something I am continually working on.)